Avoid the following:
- Undercooked meat, poultry, seafood and hot dogs
- Unpasteurized milk and juices
- Soft-scrambled eggs or foods made with raw or lightly cooked eggs
- Raw sprouts, especially alfalfa sprouts
- Herbal supplements and teas unless discussed with your health care provider
- Swordfish, shark, king mackerel and tilefish, which may contain high levels of mercury
- Raw fish, especially shellfish (oysters, clams)
Fish that are ok to eat include shrimp, salmon, Pollock, catfish, bluegill, sunfish, black and white crappie, yellow perch, bullheads and canned light tuna with limit of 6 ounces a week, or about 1 meal a week. One meal a month of bass, walleye, northern pike, perch or crappie is allowed during pregnancy.
Check with local authorities about mercury levels in other fish caught locally.